In one week we will load up the moving truck and leave Beckley, WV. In 8 days we will leave our beloved West Virginia and make a new home in Ohio. With so many big changes, there are so very many emotions. At first, I felt like there were too many big and exciting things happening for me to feel sad, so I should just ignore any sad feelings. Then my friend Moriah who is going through big life changes as well wrote about the things she will miss over on Untidy Grace. She stated it so well…”Just because it’s time doesn’t mean it won’t be the hardest thing you’ve ever done. And the two feelings- that elation & fierce loss- will war within you.” Needless to say, there has been a constant war within my heart these past few weeks.
In attempt to honor and recognize the loss, I wanted to write about it. West Virginia has made these first 22 years pretty spectacular, but I have faith that Ohio is going to treat us pretty well too. As I write this, I can truthfully admit, I don’t think I have any idea what we are getting ourselves into, nor have I accepted this reality of how much our lives are about to change. Someone once told me, one of the only consistent things in life is change, and I think that’s pretty true. As we enter into these coming days of change and uncertainty I’m so incredibly thankful for the things I am certain of: My husband and our relationship, a family that loves and supports us – even from afar, and a God who has directed our path’s for his Glory and our good.
I’m preparing to say goodbye to some major things in my life. My heart aches, tears are shed, and I mourn the losses. Thankfully, I’m stepping into some amazing things and I am so ready and excited to say hello to those. The lists below are by no means exhaustive and in no particular order, but they are on my heart and mind right now. Have you had to say goodbye & hello to anything recently?
- Mountains all around me.
- Being only an hour from my momma (and just a little further from my sister).
- Worship with our WV church family.
- Being a house away from a spectacular aunt & uncle.
- Our colorful & quirky apartment.
- The local coffee shop where we are on a first name basis.
- So many people we love.
- Being 10 minutes (& no traffic) away from everything we need.
- Quick trips to Charleston for family & fun.
- A lifetime of experiences and their reminders; especially these first 3 years of marriage.
- City living – well, *near* a city living.
- Cincinnati style chili – my fav.
- Being close to other family members & meeting new baby cousins.
- Nearby Target, Trader Joes, Whole Foods, & More.
- New apartment to make into home in a fantastic location (& it has a pool!)
- Exploring and finding new favorite local places.
- Husband’s new job and establishing his career.
- Events and opportunities in our city; Sporting events, concerts, theater, and more.
- Hosting our family for weekend visits and showing off our new home and city. Helping them love it like we do.
- Growing closer to my husband as we step out in faith and build a new lifetime of experiences and memories.